Documentation: 3 Minute Video Performance
The above video is a demo of what I did for our "3 minute video performance" assignment in class on Monday, but a little shorter and more condensed than when I did it live, where I think the transitions lingered for longer in between clips. Each time I go through the sequence in Max it ends up being/looking/feeling a little different. Through practicing live mixing this sequence I got some ideas for other videos like this that could be mixed with Jitter in realtime using tones and color, in different patterns or lengths, and be shown as standalone videos afterwards or in an installation, or possibly used also as part of a longer live performance.
Using Max does change how the video ends up looking or feels to control, and because of the nature of how I'm moving the parameters with a track pad in the presentation mode's interface (which I did enjoy having the ability to modify!). Maybe a MIDI controller would yield a different result when mapped to the presentation mode, or TouchOSC, which I didn't get to using this time. I actually wonder how smoothly that would work. It would be ideal to have a big clunky video mixer with giant dials for changing the effects that transitions very slowly or quickly as needed.
Ultimately I think this general idea will eventually take a longer form, and also be developed for my final for this class (possibly also incorporating the crystal singing bowls/lights as we discussed before!!).
Note to self: Again in relation to things we are learning about in Algorithmic Composition — I also was thinking of shifting a series of video clips like these algorithmically or randomly somehow so the sequence would never be the same, like a self creating meditation video that plays on endless changing loop, with audio as well either attached to the clips or shuffling. In the future I would like to build on this.
Another note, many days later: Go MORE abstract moving forward with this! And spend longer on each clip in the longer version to sprawl it out. The eye was too literal and did not get sublimated enough here. More blurry, smoothening, barely decipherable shapes/images and slower.
My Max Patch